Team Leader - Development Assessment
Leichhardt Administration Building
About Inner West Council
Formed from the amalgamation of Ashfield, Leichhardt and Marrickville Councils, Inner West Council is now among Sydney’s larger local government agencies looking after a vibrant community of 185,000 people living in some of the inner city’s most vibrant, creative, liveable and diverse suburbs. As we continue to deliver quality, innovative and inclusive programs and services, we would love it if you can join in our journey towards becoming the best council for our community.
Inner West Council is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity, Work Health and Safety, sustainability, continuous improvement and business excellence. The community is at the heart of the organisation and Council puts its ‘Values First’ with flexibility, integrity, respect and the spirit of team as a set of values and associated behaviours for all levels in the organisation. Employees are expected to demonstrate commitment to these values in performing their respective roles. In addition to these, the following criteria outline those that are relevant to this specific position.
About the role
The Development Assessment Unit is responsible for delivering a high standard of development assessment and control to achieve a quality urban environment within the Inner West Local Government Area.
You will lead, supervise and co-ordinate the activities of a team within the Development Assessment Unit to ensure the team consistently works to meet its targets and commitments against their individual or team work or performance plans and Council’s Operational and Strategic Plans. You will motivate and inspire the team, coach and develop staff, facilitate partnerships across Council and help solve problems and resolve issues, and model achievement of goals and commitments. You will be responsible for the:
- Effective management of a team undertaking development assessment services ensuring the timely day to day management of Development Applications, Section 96 Applications, Section 82A Review Requests etc.
- Increased level of customer satisfaction with the performance of the Development Assessment team.
- Individual and team performance management and development.
Please read the Position Description to familiarise yourself with all the requirements and conditions of the role.
$100,659 - $120,714 p.a + super
Access to an IWC leaseback vehicle scheme
- Strong learning and development focus and culture
- Health and wellbeing programs
- Statutory planning including the assessment of Development applications, Modifications and Reviews;
- Assisting the Manager Development Assessment with the management and operation of the Inner West Planning Panel;
- The implementation of procedures and systems to ensure high quality and efficient assessment processes, from the time of lodgement of an application, to the time it has been determined.
- Manage staff workloads by identifying priorities and implement case management processes.
- Exercise delegation in the determination of applications.
Some of the required skills, experience and qualifications
- Tertiary qualifications in Town Planning or related discipline.
- Extensive experience in development assessment in local government particularly in NSW and the social, political, legal and regulatory frameworks in which it operates.
- Outstanding knowledge of Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, Local Government Act and related planning legislation and concepts as they relate to development assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team and its functions to achieve outcomes that address current challenges for the IWC and its commitments to the community.
- Class C Drivers' Licence.
Development Assessment Manager Jamie Erken on (02) 9335 2011
Sunday 15 October 2017, at 11:30pm
How to Apply
We recommend you read the Position Description for the role to make sure your application addresses the requirements of the position. Council is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants. Please advise us within the application if you need support, reasonable adjustments to participate successfully in the recruitment process.
To apply for this role, please fill out the questions below - on the following page you'll be asked to add your resume. At this stage of the process, depending on the position you are applying, we may also ask for a range of documents such as copies of your qualification(s), working with children checks, licences/tickets, drawings/examples. Therefore please make sure you have these ready before you apply.